Re: RDFa DOM API - New Editor's Draft

Manu,

I think this is shaping up really well. I have some minor technical comments below; but I am now looking at the table of content.

It seems that section 2 and 3 are really the essential overview for users, without going into the IDL details. The structure and 'story' looks quite fine to me there. It may be worth and clearer to the reader to group them in one section.

I have a problem with the word 'high' and 'low', however, that is used as section heading and also in the document. What is now section 5 is not a section on low level interfaces; as far as I can see, that is the section on the formal, detailed specification of all interfaces, isn't it? Also, I am not sure why the content of section 4 is 'high level'.

Let me play with a minor rearrangement:

1. Introduction (as is today)
2. Using the RDFa
   Design goals (current 2.2.1)
   concept diagram (current 2.2.2)
   Basic usage (new section)
     The Web developers API (current 2.1)
     Working With property Groups (current 2.2.3(
     Managing elements with data (current 2.2.4)
   Advanced usage (new section, content of current section 3)
3. The WebIDL definition (the whole of section 5, just the title of the section changes)
4. Initializing the environment
   current section 4
--- rest of the sections ---

(I must admit I am not sure about the current section 4...

How does that sound?

--------------------
Additional comments:

- Concept diagram, 2.2.2: it is good to have, but somehow it should be made clear to the reader that the three arrow represent, in fact, and increasing level of sophistication but an average user does not have to know about, say, the data store. I wonder whether creating three diagrams (1: webapp, doc, property gorup 2: like 1 plus data parser and query and 3: like 2 plus data store &co) would make that clearer. (I know the info is in the text, but people might look at the diagram first...)

- right before section 3, the heading says "using property groups". Is that correct? We are talking about elements here...

Actually, the example uses e.style.setProperty which is, I presume, the way to set a CSS property. But then... using 'Property' for our Property groups become really really confusing! I wonder whether the example was on our properties or not. Bottom line, we should find another name for Property Groups (though I do not know what...)

- this is just editorial: I am a bit mixed what we call high or low:-( Around the concept diagram you refer to the query part as 'low level'. In the intro of 3 you refer to 'high level':-(

- this becomes a technical detail, but... why does the definition of RDFTriple use these indeces? why not something like

interface RDFTriple {
   readonly attribute Object subject ;
   readonly attribute Object predicate ;
   readonly attribute Object object ;
}

the usage of these indices just remind me of FORTRAN programs:-(

- I need some education on the role of DataIterator in a DataParser. My mental model seems to be too simple: I would expect a parse operation to be defined on a DataStore, so that I say

store = new DataStore() // or whatever the syntax is
store.parse("http:....")

and that is it.

I obviously miss something...

Cheers