Re: ISSUE-24: Proposal for dealing with case-insensitive terms in the XHTML vocabulary

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:48:01 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>

On 7/22/2010 3:44 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 18:25 , Shane McCarron wrote:
>> This is correct.  And that is consistent with RDFa Syntax 1.0.    As to the HTML5 group... I don't think they really care about triple generation and predicates.  That's our bailiwick.
> Yeah, well... but we do care. If, in future, the @rel values will be generated on-the-fly by the community and that remains valid HTML5, can we allow ourselves to ignore that?

Yes.  We should.  Just like we ignore it today.  If the term is not
defined in an ontology somewhere it is meaningless to the semweb
anyway.  Isn't it?

>>> As for ':bla' type CURIEs: I do feel uneasy about the usage of an XHTML URI for these when using RDFa in, say, SVG. Any resulting URI would really be out of place there. I would be more in favour of what the RDF Workshop people called 'weak deprecation': we do not make statements on whether that would be removed in future RDFa versions, but we strongly advise the community not to use it...
>> I think that for consistency with RDFa Syntax 1.0 we are okay requiring the use of the XHTML vocab URI for those special form CURIEs.  I don't think it effects SVG at all.  In that environment I would expect SVG to define a host language profile along the lines described below - with TERMs that would just work in rel="svgterm".
> But if, somebody, uses a rel=":svgterm" by mistake, that would suddenly go into the XHTML namespace. Ie, we should really say to an SVG author: please, do not use that!

OK.  But I think this is up to the SVG host language (SVG+RDFa or
whatever) to say.  Its a perfectly legitimate CURIE and might make sense
in that document.  rel=':license' would always reference our canonical
definition of license.  That's a good thing, isn't it?