ISSUE-24: Proposal for dealing with case-insensitive terms in the XHTML vocabulary

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:01:52 -0500
To: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
In general, I feel that terms should always be treated as case
sensitive.  However, I agree that for backward compatibility reasons,
the terms defined in *OUR* XHTML vocabulary, as extended by terms that
are defined in HTML5, should be mapped to lower case when processing.

I do not think this is an RDFa Core issue.  Rather, I think that in RDFa
Core we should say:

    TERMs, CURIEs, and URIs are all case sensitive.  Host Languages may
    place further processing requirements on TERMs (e.g., requiring they
    be mapped to lower case).

In XHTML+RDFa 1.1 we should say:

    When referencing TERMs in the vocabulary at
    http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab, TERMs must be mapped to lower case.

I imagine we would need to say something similar in HTML+RDFa.