Re: ISSUE-15 PROPOSAL: @version attribute in HTML5

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:27:49 +0100
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:35:07 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> We have a couple of options in front of us, that could be combined:
> 1. Keep everything as it is right now, ignoring the polyglot
>    ramifications of the decision.
> 2. Harmonize the HTML5+RDFa and XHTML5+RDFa @version strings.
> 3. Specify that @version SHOULD NOT be used unless an author
>    would like to force the RDFa Processor into a particular mode.

We could say that @version is a plus-separated list of features in use,
and that RDFa processors can split it on the '+', and only need to
concern themselves with the feature that matches the regular expression

If the 'HTML' and 'XHTML' features are respectively defined as 'can be
parsed as HTML' and 'can be parsed as XHTML', then a polyglot document
could legitimately use any of:

	HTML+RDFa 1.1
	RDFa 1.1+HTML (order is not important)
	RDFa 1.1

One can even imagine people aiming to build polyglot RDFa 1.0 and RDFa
1.1 documents - i.e. documents that yield the same graph parsed as
either version of RDFa:

	XHTML+RDFa 1.0+RDFa 1.1

This interpretation of the @version attribute should be compatible with
the XHTML+RDFa 1.0 Rec.