Re: language tags

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:46:26 +0100
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
We have a number of approaches to language tags.

* Option 1
Language tags are lowercase strings in the abstract data model.

Pro:
   It is the 2004 spec.
Con:
   It's not what most system do.

* Option 2:
Language tags are compared case insensitively.

Con:
   Unclear as to when "compare" happens

:s :p "xyz"@en .
:s :p "xyz"@EN .

  2A: When the set of triples that is the graph is created
  => one triple, but what is written out is then not clear
  2B: On access:
  => two triples

* Option 3:
Language tags are values - they can be represented in different ways
(c.f. datatypes).

   Do the work in the definition of rdf:langString.
   Don't mandate rdf:langString understanding.

Pro:
   It seems to be what systems actually do.
   Some collapse case; most do not.

I'll send a message with the document consequences for option 3 separately.

	Andy