Re: bad language tags

On May 6, 2013, at 2:15 PM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> Le 06/05/2013 19:47, Pat Hayes a écrit :
>> (I think we may have decided this already, but can't find the decision.)
>>
>> If some RDF has a language-tagged literal with a bad language tag (not conforming to section 2.2.9 of BPC 47), is that
>>
>> 1. an RDF syntax error
>> 2. syntactically legal but inconsistent (because the literal has no legal value)
>> 3. legal and consistent (because even a bad language tag is still an RDF language tag) ?
>
> RDF concepts says that a language-tagged string has a lexical form (a UNICOD string), a datatype IRI (rdf:langString) and a language tag (a non-empty language tag as defined by [BCP47]. The language tag must be well-formed according to section 2.2.9 of [BCP47], and must be normalized to lowercase).
>
> Anything else is not a language-tagged string. So, it's answer 1.

Well, that is how I would interpret that MUST as well, but I think that it would be better if it were to say this explicitly, because this being a syntax error requires all conformant RDF parsers to know all about wellformedness of language tags. I actually think this is a very bad decision, if it really is what the WG intended to do. Which is why I wanted to make sure that the text was very clear on exactly what is intended here.

Pat