W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-wg@w3.org > May 2013

Proposal: JSON-LD CR and LC2 timeline

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 21:57:10 -0400
Message-ID: <51885F76.3030400@digitalbazaar.com>
To: JSON-LD CG <public-linked-json@w3.org>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

The first Last Call for JSON-LD will end this week. JSON-LD Syntax seems
ready to go to Candidate REC. JSON-LD API will need a second Last Call
due to a change in the API, which moved from node.js continuation-style
callbacks to DOM future-style return values.

The editors will have both specs updated and ready to go by the end of
this coming weekend, but the question remains "ready to go to what?".

Here's a proposal for moving the specs forward in a safe way that
optimizes our ability to move to PR quickly:

1. Publish JSON-LD 1.0 (Syntax) as a Candidate REC on May 14th 2013
   with a 3 week CR period.
2. Publish JSON-LD 1.0 (API) as a 2nd Last Call on May 14th 2013 with
   a 3 week LC2 period.
3. Both specs should emerge from these stages on June 4th 2013 at
   which point, if nothing goes wrong, we should move both of them to
   PR as soon as possible.

But wait!, you may exclaim. Why doesn't the JSON-LD API need to go
through CR? In short, I think we meet the CR requirements already. We
already have implementation reports for 4 interoperable JSON-LD
Processor implementations with a 5th on the way:

http://json-ld.org/test-suite/reports/

We don't have two inter-operable implementations for the JSON-LD
browser-based API yet, but expect implementing one to take the better
part of a day or two. I expect that we'll have all of these things done
by June 4th.

The reason that we are going through a 2nd Last Call is to ensure that
we're adhering to W3C Process wrt. the JSON-LD API. We did make a
substantive change, but all implementers that have submitted
implementation reports have already made the changes that will be in the
2nd LC document.

If all of this sounds too complicated, the other alternative is to just
go into a 2nd LC for both documents and then skip CR and go directly to
PR since we have the implementation reports more or less done at this
point in time.

Thoughts?

-- manu

-- 
Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny, G+: +Manu Sporny)
Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Meritora - Web payments commercial launch
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/
Received on Tuesday, 7 May 2013 01:57:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 7 May 2013 01:57:39 UTC