Re: Mercurial, I quit.

I find git and mercurial equally confusing, too:-(

Anyway. Pat, I am not sure what machine you use. If it is a Mac, you may want to try the SourceTree application: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/. Once it has been set up, you can forget about all the hg and git and other things, it takes care of the simple use cases. Maybe that helps.

Ivan

On Mar 1, 2013, at 11:03 , Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> While I also feel more at home with git than hg,
> I know a lot of people that find git just as confusing,
> so I'm not sure that Pat will consider it an improvement.
>
> I guess one of us can act as Pat's "proxy" to hg,
> exchanging files with him by e-mail,
> and handling the occasional merge if necessary
> (although I don't expect that many will be needed).
>
> I can volunteer to do that,
> even though, as I wrote above,hg is the VCS I'm most used to.
>
>   pa
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Under most circumstances, I would attempt to talk Pat down off his tree
> > and/or help him through his challenges.  However, I fully appreciate
> > his struggles with that arcane and overly complicated piece of
> > software.  I concur with his statement that it is also overkill for our
> > needs.
> >
> > Surely we can arrange some way for Pat to provide his document without
> > hg.  Suggestions?
>
> We have been using GitHub since the very beginning and have been very happy
> with it. There's also an application for both Mac and Windows which makes it
> quite to get started. What if Pat just sets up a repo there?
>

> Cheers,
> Markus
>

> --
> Markus Lanthaler