Re: graph names denoting the graph (suggested change to Concepts)

On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Peter Patel-Schneider wrote:

> There was discussion in the telecon today about whether Concepts or
> Semantics said anything that forbade graphs names from denoting their
> graph.

Sorry I wasnt there for this discussion. Obviously they CAN denote the graph, as long as they aren't denoting something else. But the key point is that there is no way to know if they are intended to denote the graph, and so the (if I may be so bold) *obvious* interpretation of the labelling syntax as meaning that the graph name denotes the graph, is not in fact a reliable inference.

> Semantics is clear that graph names might denote their graph, but
> there is nothing requiring this.
>
> Concepts is a bit vague on this point, saying that graph names "[do]
> not formally denote the graph".   This could be read as forbidding the
> denotation,

I don't believe that was ever the intention of this wording. I think it should be read as meaning "there is no formal requirement that the graph names denote the graph".

> although the next sentence does clarify the situation to
> some extent.  (It would be a bit preverse [I was watching "Dr.
> Strangelove" on the plane yesterday, so I'm leaving this typo in] to
> read the paragraph as saying that the graph name could denote anything
> except the graph, but there are lots of pre….s out there.)

Indeed there are.

> I suggest that the phrase be modified to "does not necessarily
> formally denote the graph".

I suggest omitting the "formally". It suggests that there might be some other, not formal, kind of denoting going on.

The language defined in semantics which distinguishes 'denotes' AKA 'refers to'  from 'identifies' might be useful. In fact this very example is used to illustrate it.

Pat