Re: Updated JSON-LD spec to more closely align w/ RDF data model

On 03/07/13 22:38, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:23 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> A graph in JSON-LD should be a generalized RDF graph.
>>
>> But it is not. JSON-LD has built-in lists (because JSON has arrays) - mapping them to rdf:List is trivial but nevertheless they are part of the data model in JSON-LD. The situation is similar for numbers and booleans.
>
> I don't consider JSON-LD lists as being conceptually any different that Turtle Lists; these are artifacts of the serialization, and not the underlying data model.

Are all JSON-LD lists transformed to RDF lists by the
json-ld-api/#list-to-rdf-conversion?  It's not clear -- it says "a list
may be represented using the @list keyword as follows:" -- not a RFC-MAY
but only a "may" nevertheless).

Suggestion: clarify as to whether there are other ways or not. E.g. "a
list is represented using the @list keyword as follows:")

The problem is about syntax and which data model is which.
This confusion is manifest by the fact that the documents are split
Serialization / Algorithms where the document entitles "serialization"
includes an appendix on "Data Model".

A separate document on "Data Model" would have been good.  Making that
it not-an-appendix, but still at the end of the document, might help.

We have

1/ syntax : JSON, with additional rulesas given by the JSON-LD grammar.

2/ JSON-LD data model - specific to JSON-LD and only JSON-LD

3/ RDF abstract data model.  JSON and JSON-LD independent.  Output of
json-ld-api/#rdf-conversion-algorithms.

	Andy