Re: Updated JSON-LD spec to more closely align w/ RDF data model

On 07/04/2013 12:59 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:34 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>> But it is not. JSON-LD has built-in lists (because JSON has arrays) -
>>> mapping them to rdf:List is trivial but nevertheless they are part of
>>> the data model in JSON-LD. The situation is similar for numbers and
>>> booleans.
>>>
>>> We can't ignore the JSON in JSON-LD.
>> I believe that somehow you are missing the idea of the "should" in my
>> statement.
>>
>> My changes to Appendix A were to turn this "should" into reality.
> In your proposal you write
>
>      JSON-LD is a serialization format for Linked Data based on JSON.
>      It is therefore important to distinguish between the syntax of
>      JSON-LD, which is defined by JSON [...] and the underlying data model.
>
>      The data model underlying JSON-LD is RDF datasets as defined in
>      RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax [RDF-CONCEPTS], with the
>      following additions: ...
>
> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-wg/2013Jun/0126.html]
>
> If it has additions, then it is not the same IMO. Do we agree on that?

Sure, not the same, but ..

> I also can't really see a substantial difference from what the spec currently says:
>
>     JSON-LD is a serialization format for Linked Data based on JSON.
>     It is therefore important to distinguish between the syntax,
>     which is defined by JSON in [RFC4627], and the data model which
>     is an extension of the RDF data model [RDF11-CONCEPTS]. To ease
>     understanding for developers unfamiliar with the RDF model, the
>     following normative summary is provided: ...

... there is a vast difference between being defined in terms of RDF Datasets
plus (now) one small addition and not being defined in terms of RDF Datasets,
even if the intent is to make things work out the same.   Further, there is
now generalized RDF Datasets, which includes the addition.

> --
> Markus Lanthaler
> @markuslanthaler

peter

PS:  And de-emphasizing the connection only makes the difference much more
important.