Re: Dataset Syntax - checking for consensus

On 9/25/2012 7:14 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I'm not sure how much progress we'll be able to make on dataset
> semantics tomorrow, so I thought I'd draft some proposals on dataset
> syntax.   The chairs can put this on the agenda is they like (but it's
> too short notice for these decisions to be binding yet).  I'm thinking
> it would be useful to see how close we are to agreement on these issues.
>
> If you followup with votes, please use -1 for Formal Objection, 0 for
> abstain, +1 for approve.   Numbers in between are fine, too.
>
> PROPOSED: We will produce a W3C Recommendation for a dataset syntax,
> similar to TriG and to SPARQL's named graph syntax.

+1

> PROPOSED: We'll request a media-type for this syntax which is different
> from the media-type for Turtle.  (That is, we will not consider this
> language to supplant Turtle and take over the name, becoming the new
> "Turtle", as was once proposed.)

+1

> PROPOSED: Our dataset syntax will allow for the expression of empty
> named graphs, whatever their semantics might be (to be decided). The
> syntax is an empty curly-braces expression, as in "<g> { }".

+1

> PROPOSED: Our dataset syntax will have some standard mechanism (to be
> determined within the next few weeks) through which a Dataset
> serialization can include some RDF data about the Dataset (that is, some
> metadata in the form of an RDF graph).

-0 (not gong to object to this, but think this is not a well understood
extension mechanism. In Anzo, we have fully named datasets and then can
use those names to talk about dataset metadata in a normal way, but I
wouldn't know how to do that within a trig file, and unless the proposal
includes a way to name the dataset and then write down triples based on
that name, then the proposal won't map easily to what we already do in
Anzo.)

0

> PROPOSED: We will call our recommended dataset syntax "TriG", but
> informally and in the media type, "trig".

+1

> PROPOSED: We will call our recommended dataset syntax "TriG", and use
> that capitalization everywhere.

-0

> SPARQL but is in traditional TriG, for compatibility with N3.
>
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, a "=" MAY appear between the name and
> the graph.

+1

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, a "=" MUST appear between the name and
> the graph.

-1

0

> * Use of the "graph" keyword, which MUST be used in SPARQL and MUST NOT
> be used in traditional TriG.
>
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, the case-insensitive keyword "graph"
> MAY appear before the name, in a name-graph pair.

-0

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, the case-insensitive keyword "graph"
> MUST appear before the name, in a name-graph pair.

-1

0

> MUST be used in traditional TriG, and MUST NOT be used in SPARQL.

(Not really true, FWIW. In SPARQL you can put curly braces pretty much
wherever you want. :-) )

0

0

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, triples of the dataset's default graph
> MUST NOT be surrounded by curly braces.

-1

> * Some designs for carrying for metadata
>
> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that metadata goes in the
> default graph

-0.5

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that the default graph goes
> inside curly braces and the metadata goes outside curly braces

-0.5

> PROPOSED: In our dataset syntax, we'll say that metadata goes inside a
> set curly braces after a keyword "meta".

-0.3

> PROPOSED: In out dataset syntax, we'll have a keyword "meta" followed by
> "default" or the name of a named graph, to indicate to readers where the
> metadata is.

-0.5

Lee