Re: Use of XSD namespace in RDF recommendations (ISSUE-96)

Richard,

On 6 Sep 2012, at 11:45, Richard Smith wrote:
>> [[ Note: The Web Ontology Language [OWL2] offers [facilities for formally defining custom datatypes](http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Datatype_Definitions) that can be used with RDF. However, RDF implementations are not required to support these facilities. ]]
>
> I notice neither wording links to 'XML Schema Datatypes in RDF and OWL' <http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/>. Is that because this document is now considered obsolete?

I don't know; I was hoping that Jeremy can shed light on that question.

(I'm creating ISSUE-96 to formally track this so it doesn't get lost.)

> It seems to me that the SWBP note and the OWL2 datatype definition facilities address different somewhat problems, so linking to both would be useful.

I agree, and support linking to both *if* the SWBP Note is still considered state of the art. (I don't know enough about XML Schema to appraise the document.)

> If you want to use a third-party XML Schema type and don't want to duplicate the definition yourself in OWL2, the techniques in the SWBP note are relevant.  Similarly if you want to define a type that's usable in both XML Schema and RDF and don't want to maintain two copies of the declaration.
>
> (I dare say at some point someone will write a GRDDL transformation for extracting OWL2 datatype declarations from XML Schema, and link that from the XML Schema namespace document [i.e. the XML Schema for XML Schema], much as the GRDDL transformation for extracting RDFa from XHTML has been linked from XHTML namespace document.  That would automatically make OWL2 type definitions available for any simpleType in any XML Schema, and seems to fit quite nicely with how things are done elsewhere.)

That sounds like a good thing.

Best,
Richard