Re: PROV Last Call - RDF WG review request

On 10/05/2012 11:24 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:

> Le 05/10/2012 16:50, Pat Hayes a écrit :
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>>
>>> The way you are talking about our recent vote seems to imply that
>>> we have constrained the PROV WG in a way that prevent them
>>
>> No, of course not. We have not constrained anyone to do anything. But
>> we have also not *provided* them with any means to help them do what
>> they want to do. We have done nothing: they are on their own. Their
>> situation regarding RDF usage is exactly what it would have been if
>> this WG had never convened. They can completely ignore us, as we have
>> decided to say nothing useful. That is what I propose to tell them.
>
> Yes, only with the exception that we are defining the syntax for
> datasets, which they'll have to align their documents with, if only
> they choose to rely on this concept.
>
> So we can tell them that they can use it for the syntactic structure,
> and put a reference to us for this, but they indeed are on their own
> wrt how to interpret the structure.

In Prov, are bundles g-snaps?    (It looks like it to me, from a cursory
reading.)   So the weakness here is that we haven't provided them any
way to name g-snaps?

I imagine the use cases include naming them without using TriG (or N3),
so that suggests the only viable solution is static g-boxes -- that is,
Web Pages of RDF that promise not to change.

I can't quite decide if, engineering-wise, that's brilliant or
ridiculous.   As an software developer, I'd probably like some stronger
guarantees, such as a hash, or the contents of the bundles being
transmitted in the same document as the assertions about them.    The
easy solution would be a convention for including the hash of the
contents in the URL.   Standards-wise, I guess that looks something like
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrell-decade-ni-10 (although I'd
approach it rather differently, myself).

         -- Sandro