Re: RDF Concepts - What is a Node?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:22:44 -0500
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, nathan@webr3.org, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>

On May 28, 2012, at 8:15 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> On 05/28/2012 01:41 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> On 28 May 2012, at 17:02, Nathan wrote:
>>> Generally we see an RDF Graph as a Set of Statements, and the meaning of that is the conjunction of all the Statements in the Graph; and where each Graph entails its powerset.
>> Yes.
>>
>>> However, it seems like there is an unwritten assumption in the community, that the meaning of a Node within a Graph is the conjunction of all the statements made where that node is in the subject or object position.
>> Nodes in an RDF graph don't have meaning.
>
> I beg to differ!
>
> peter

Phrases involving the word "meaning" are very slippery, and y'all may have noticed that the semantics avoids that word like the plague. What is true is that a node, alone, asserts no facts, cannot be said to be true or false, expresses no propositions. Whereas a triple or a graph does all these things.

I think also that we all, even Peter, agree that Nathans' idea, that a node represents a conjunction of statements, is wrong.

Pat