ISSUE-28 - two readings?

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:52:00 +0100
To: RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
ISSUE-28 Syntactic nesting of g-texts
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/28

     PROPOSED: Close ISSUE-28 ("Do we need syntactic nesting of graphs
(g-texts) as in N3?"), saying No, we do not -- they are useful, but we
can provide the same functionality with datasets.

- - - - -

I think there is the possibility of misunderstanding here in having 2
ways to read "provide the same functionality".

The first is that any use case can be built using datasets that could be
built using nested graphs (graph literals).  That does not mean the
technical design are the same, just they provide the same capabilities.

The second is that there is a technical equivalence from a nested graph
structure to a dataset.

The second is, I think, Pat's point that it (#2) requires the IRI in the
<IRI,G> pair to to denote the graph.

For me, the first is the important point and I'm reading the  resolution
as that - given datasets, we can address the use cases; we do not *need*
nested graphs.

	Andy