Re: N-triples white space question

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 11:06:19 +0100
Cc: RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
RDF 2004 N-Triples [1] requires at least one character of horizontal white space between s, p and o.

This helps tremendously with quick-and-dirty parsing using regexes.

I think the WS rules for N-Triples should stay as they were in RDF 2004.

I would even go one step further and add some SHOULD-level guidance on where to put what whitespace. Perhaps something like: exactly one space between s and p; exactly one space between p and o; no WS before or after the period; no WS at the start of a line; CR+LF as EOL.

I also note that RDF 2004 N-Triples allows comments (only at the start of a line). This makes sense for the use as a test case format, but not much sense for the use as a dump format.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntriples