Re: Data spaces draft

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 09:23 -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 5/16/12 8:24 AM, Guus Schreiber wrote:
> >
> > Personal note: after reading I felt quite comfortable with the term
> > "space". Looks like a decent choice.
> Note, your mail subject heading reads: Data spaces, the document title
> is: RDF Spaces and Datasets. I think you a vindicating a critical
> intuition that is inadvertently obscured re. this document.
>
> Sandro: please make the document title: RDF Data Spaces and Datasets.
> This will go a long way to making folks (esp. those outside this
> community) grok the subject matter covered by the document. If you don't
> want to change the title, that's also fine by me, but please close this
> matter either way (for me) via a clear Yes/No response. Interpreting
> silence is eternally challenging  :-)

I wasn't answering because I thought I had been clear I wanted to defer
discussion on the term, but since this is clearly very important to
you...   my answer for now is a very respectful and slightly tentative,
"No".

(Obviously if the group decides to go forward with this draft, the WG
can decide differently, but since I guess this is just my proposal for
now, it ends up being my call, for now.)

I like the sound of "data spaces" and it certainly makes a better title,
as you point out, but right now they are defined as being spaces for
_graphs_.   The title "RDF Data Spaces and Datasets" rather strongly
suggests, I think, that these spaces could also hold _datasets_.   It
even seems to be making the point that RDF data is triples *or* quads.

It might be that the design can be reworked to allow that, but I'm not
ready to try that yet.

Also, I think it might make sense to rename g-snap, too:   g-snap ==
graph state, g-box == graph state.   I think that matches current usage
much better than the current "RDF Graph" definition.   If we do this,
then the title might be "RDF Graph Spaces and Datasets" or some such.
Also, as I get more familiar with the document, I see spaces coming up
in less and less of the text, so maybe the title is just "RDF Datasets"
or something.   OR maybe there is no document, and all this stuff ends
up in other places.    Long discussion.