Re: RDF Lists

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 10:08 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 03:47 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> > On 04/05/12 05:11, Manu Sporny wrote:
> >> In summary - RDF Lists are difficult to implement, even for people
> >> that know quite a bit about RDF. They are fantastically difficult
> >> to grasp for Web developers. They are really hard to author in many
> >> of the RDF syntaxes.
> >
> > but not Turtle :-) and your other messages suggests Turtle
> > everywhere.
>
> Yes, TURTLE got it right. :)
>
> >> I'd like to propose something that the group should seriously
> >> consider:
> >>
> >> 1. Add lists as a first-class citizen for all RDF serializations -
> >> deprecate all serializations that don't support lists as
> >> first-class citizens.
> >
> > This is the only complete solution -- anything that encodes in
> > triples means that the triples view will show through to developers.
>
> Yes, to be more precise, an object can  now be:
>
> * a plain literal (with optional language)
> * a typed literal
> * an IRI
> * a list (with optional type)

My proposal was that for RDF 1.1 we highlight the notion of a
"Well-Formed List" as a list that can be losslessly serialized in
Turtle, and suggest that Best Practice is to use Well-Formed Lists in
preference to all the other RDF list/collection/container mechanisms.
This seems to me be a good transitional stage.

Personally, I think we should put all that other stuff on notice that it
might go away in RDF 2.0, but I'm not sure we can get consensus on that.

   -- Sandro