Re: Sandro's proposal VS RDF Datasets

On May 2, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 16:59 +0200, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>> My interpretation is that when one writes:
>>
>>     :g {
>>          :c  rdfs:subClassOf  :d .
>>          :x  rdf:type  :c .
>>     }
>>
>> it's a statement that the two triples are true "according to :g" (or
>> in
>> "context" :g if you prefer this word, or in "graph labelled :g") and
>> from this follows that "in graph :g" the triple ":x  rdf:type  :d ."
>> is
>> true,
>
> I don't think it follows, since I don't think there is any sense to the
> idea of triples being "true in a graph".

Now I am on Antoine's side, sigh.

Don't think 'true in a graph', but 'true in a context'. The "graph name" in Antoine's semantics is really a context name, and the dataset asserts each graph *in the context determined by the "graph name"*. So entailments, merges. etc.. all work provided they are all in the same context, but not necessarily across contexts.

Think of a world in which each context determines the meanings of IRIs, so you can only know that  :a means the same as :a when they both occur inside (triples which are assserted in) the same context. I know you don't LIKE this vision, but it does make sense, and this intuition drives all of Antoine's examples.

> Is triple (:a :b :c) true in the graph {:a :b :c; :d :e} ?    The
> question seems malformed to me.

IF the graph defines a context (a special case) then this means basically that the graph entails the triple. Which for simple entailment means that it is in it (or has an instance in it, to be very exact., so (:a :b _:x) is "in" - better to say, is *true* in - (:a :b :c; :d :e)  But this context-being-a-graph idea seems to me to be very limiting. If we are going to have contexts. then let's be more liberal than this.)

Pat