Re: Layers

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:00:18 +0100
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org

On 02/05/12 08:13, Dan Brickley wrote:
 > Does something like that help?

> As with all metaphors for computers, it is
> important to understand "layers" are a conceptual tool for helping us
> understand how "graphs" of information from multiple sources can be
> composed, combined and compared. As with calendars and maps, we should
> always remember that not every intuition we have about physical layers
> carries across to the information metaphor."

This part certainly helps - it's a metaphor for thinking about the
problem addressed.  It's a metaphor, not a definition.

Usefully for thinking about some problem spaces; works for some people,
not necessarily for all.  There can be other metaphors - none is right
or wrong.

"layers" partly works for me because of the sense of ordering which I
can't escape.  "layers" don't work for me if the problem has graphs
side-by-side to compare, say.

But as a way of seeing thing in increasing detail as more information is
added into the mix, "layers" does work for me.

	Andy