Re: Namespace (was: Re: Preparing editor's drafts -- Q's for the team contacts)

On 25 May 2011, at 12:28, Ivan Herman wrote:
> (alas!, it is not possible to define a new vocabulary URI for rdf and rdfs; it would be sooooo much better to use
>
> http://www.w3.org/ns/rdf
> http://www.w3.org/ns/rdfs
>
> :-(

Well, we can't do much, but there's something that we can do NOW. We can give the community license to experiment and find out whether the shorter namespaces are worth the pain induced by a change. When it's time for the next RDF in 2020, the verdict should be in.

A SHORT NAMESPACE URI FOR RDF AND RDFS

W3C Working Group Note

To facilitate the migration to shorter namespace IRIs for RDF and RDFS, we reserve the namespace

http://www.w3.org/ns/rdf#

for use in a future version of RDF. The suggested prefix is rdf2:. RDF implementations may consider supporting all terms in the current rdf: and rdfs: namespaces not just under their customary IRIs, but also under a corresponding IRI in the rdf2: namespace.

Note however that data published using this rdf2: namespaces is not valid RDF 1.1.

This is not a commitment that any future version of RDF will use the rdf2: namespace, or define in it any of the terms in the current rdf: and rdfs: namespaces, or define them with the same semantics.