Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

I see. Would it be an option to not introduce the changes in OWL 2?
Should OWL 2 be updated every time RDF is extended with a new vocabulary?

Practically, I don't think it would create any important failure if OWL
reasoners don't understand the datatype rdf:LanguageTaggedLiteral.
It would just be disregarded, just like my:datatype would be.

The reason to have this datatype is that there would be a way to refer
to what is now called "plain literals with language tags".
rdf:PlainLiteral does not offer this, unless it is combined with the OWL
2 datatype definition vocabulary, which RDF tools don't have to
implement. Something that has the same meaning as:

         :LanguageTaggedLiteral owl:equivalentClass [
                 rdf:type rdfs:Datatype;
                 owl:onDatatype rdf:PlainLiteral;
                 owl:withRestrictions ( [ rdf:langRange "*" ] )
         ].

but not dependent on OWL semantics.

--
Antoine Zimmermann
Researcher at:
Laboratoire d'InfoRmatique en Image et Systèmes d'information
Database Group
7 Avenue Jean Capelle
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
Tel: +33(0)4 72 43 61 74 - Fax: +33(0)4 72 43 87 13
Lecturer at:
Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
20 Avenue Albert Einstein
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex
France
antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr