Re: Proposal for ISSUE-12, string literals

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 20:48:17 +0200
Cc: Alex Hall <alexhall@revelytix.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
I would like to check this line with the OWL and RIF folks. It may invalidate OWL reasoners, for example, that use rdf:PlainLiteral. there is a slippery slope here; that indeed mean that we would change the very concept of datatype maps.

I have to ask this: is this worth it?

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman
Tel:+31 641044153
http://www.ivan-herman.net

On 13 May 2011, at 19:42, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> On 13 May 2011, at 16:52, Alex Hall wrote:
>>> I think the sensible way would be:
>>> 1) every literal has *both* a datatype and a (possibly empty) language tag;
>>> 2) of the built-in datatypes, only xsd:string can have non-empty language tags;
>>> 3) plain literals and rdf:PlainLiterals don't exist;
>>> 4) "foo" in concrete syntaxes is syntactic sugar for "foo"^^xsd:string.