Re: [JSON] I say again, what *is* JSON?

From: Gavin Carothers <gavin@topquadrant.com>
Subject: Re: [JSON] I say again, what *is* JSON?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:53:25 -0500

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider
> <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
>> Hmm.
>>
>> Is this really the JSON spec?
>
> No.
>
> [... snip ...]
>>

>> So, I ask again, is there a definition JSON somewhere around?
>
> Yes,  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt  it is "just" a grammar.

I note that the character encoding here appears to be different from
that in the JavaScript document.

> The
> mapping of JSON into the object model of the parsers language is not
> specified.

So then, how can the WG talk about round-tripping, etc., etc.?

> From section 2.2:
>
> The names within an object SHOULD be unique.

Hmm.  This doesn't appear in json.org or in the JavaScript document.

> While it does say SHOULD, but it is in reality a MUST.

Except that there are lots of "MUST"s in the document, so one SHOULD be
able to have non-unique names, if the circumstances warrant.

> --Gavin

peter