Re: [JSON] PROPOSAL: Syntax structure should be object-based

Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-03-16, at 14:39, Manu Sporny wrote:
>>> My main concern would be whether this Working Group has the right
>>> composition to effectively enact this proposal if a core goal is to
>>> increase adoption by the JSON developer community.
>> I would strike "JSON developer" and use the word "Web developer"
>> instead. Every Web developer that has had to interface with other
>> Web-based systems has used JSON at some point. Every JavaScript
>> developer is familiar with the syntax. In other words, I don't think
>> there is such a thing as the "JSON developer community" (even though I
>> may slip and use the terminology from time to time).
>
> That is not really accurate in my experience.
>
> We work with financial services companies a lot, and many web developers there have never used JSON. In the "enterprise" world it's not really on the radar. Many of them even still use/prefer SOAP.

Which isn't particularly surprising since many "enterprise" companies
have heavy investments in XML and SOAP tooling.

Fact is, it's JSON that we're discussing, and JSON is heavily used by
web developers, "web" in the "open web platform" sense that is.

Many web developers pushed for years to try and do simple objects in XML
without all the fuss and tooling requirements, JSON filled that gap
nicely and was adopted heavily by those not bound by heavy investment in
existing tech stacks.

So, we can easily shove just about anything in to the JSON syntax, and
require a full set of RDF tooling to use it ... see previous paragraph.

Best,

Nathan