Re: RDF-ISSUE-12 (String Literals): deprecate language tags?

On 2011-03-06, at 08:16, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2011, at 24:50 , Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 09:24 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>> We can allow language tags on xsd:string literals
>>
>> How?  I don't think so.  As I recall (from watching the group, not being
>> in it like you), that was the constraint that got us into this mess in
>> the first place.  The i18n WG said RDF had to have language tags on
>> text, and the xsd WG said we couldn't put language tags on datatyped
>> values.  So our best option seemed to be to have strings which were not
>> datatyped values.
>>
>> We could try pushing on those constraints again and see what has
>> changed, given years of additional experience.
>>
>> My first inclination, in approaching this ISSUE-12, is to first see if
>> we can get rid of language-tagged literals.  Are there people who will
>> fight to keep them?  If so, please speak up.
>
> I think I would...
>
> Multilingual vocabularies use them. This is what SKOS advices to use in terms of alternative labels. This is what any dbpedia page use at the moment (see [1]). I am afraid that it would be a problem if, via deprecation, we rendered all this deployment invalid even through the change path you propose below. Besides, the approach you propose below seems to be way more complicated and less 'user-friendly':-(

I would too. I'm co-author of a reasonably popular, if niche, standard that uses lang tags in turtle for internationalisation of UI elements.

It's also a selling point for corporates - lang tags aren't amazingly well supported by SPARQL, but it's better than what you get in SQL, or most noSQL stores.

From a usability point of view the main problem is that you want run queries like "give me the rdfs:label of this variable, in @"pt-BR" if you have it, otherwise @"pt", otherwise the untagged version, but there's no easy way to write that in SPARQL, not really RDF's fault though.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK