Re: Graph-State Resources (was Re: graphs and documents Re: [ALL] agenda telecon 14 Dec)

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:29:43 +0000
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, public-rdf-wg@w3.org
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
On 20 Dec 2011, at 00:46, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>
>> On 15 Dec 2011, at 18:35, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>> Does log:semantics act as an owl:FunctionalProperty?  i.e. within a
>>> single graph, can we expect at most one true property value for it?
>>
>> I don't think so. log:semantics depends on retrieval of a representation, and the result of that action may be different for different clients with different configuration, different network location, or different access credentials.
>>
>> Content negotiation by language is a nice example where the same client in the same network location and same access credentials would receive different representations, and hence different log:semantics, based on user configuration.
>
> ? IS it obvious that it would be different? The object of log:semantics is the RDF graph that the retrieved representation parses into, not the representation itself. Are there cases where content negotiation would give a different RDF graph from the same resource? (Genuine question, not rhetoric.)

Yes. For example RDF/XML cannot represent all RDF graphs, so there are cases when an RDF documents that served by a SPARQL CONSTRUCT for e.g. will necessarily return different content when you conneg RDF/XML v's Turtle (for e.g.).

I doubt this is that common in practice however.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK