Re: Graph-State Resources

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:27:12 -0600
Cc: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, RDF WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

On Dec 15, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On 15 December 2011 22:43, Peter Frederick Patel-Schneider
> <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:
>> Umm.  Just what is this log:semantics?
>
> Part of TimBL and the MIT/DIG group's old Cwm/N3 testbed. I don't know
> if it's had much attention lately. Roughly it's a relationship between
> an identifier

Actually, the thing denoted by that identifier, which will probably be a thing variously called a document, an information resource, an HTTP endpoint, or a Web page. Its the thing you access, and according to REST whose state is returned to you,  when you tell HTTP to GET the identifier. Whatever that thing is  and we don't want to go into that question  it is what the identifier denotes, according to http-range-14, and this is a relation between it and.... (now read on)

> and whatever RDF can be gotten from it by HTTP GET (or
> equivalent, presumably, for other URI schemes). I believe Cwm's
> behaviour included actually going to fetch stuff from the Web while it
> was 'thinking', but N3 didn't provide much to control the when/how etc
> of those lookups.
>
> Dan

Pat

PS I am reminded of the question of how to specify what owl:imports meant.