Re: IRI guidance

On Apr 28, 2011, at 23:59 , Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
<snip/>

>> Unfortunately this can lead to unexpected consequences, such as an
>> application dereferencing the IRI http://xn--rsum-bpad.example.org (not sure
>> how GMail will escape that -- that's the punycode version) and getting a
>> document with a description of some resource with IRI
>> http://résumé.example.org <http://xn--rsum-bpad.example.org> (Unicode
>> version).  To help prevent this, we could discourage the use of IRIs with
>> encoded IDNs in RDF, similar to how the existing spec discourages the use of
>> URI Refs with percent-escaped characters.
>
> I think this leads down the path of not using IRIs. When dereferencing
> an HTTP IRI, one has to punyify the domain name and percentulate the
> path, mapping http://伝言.example/?user=أكرم to
> http://xn--9oqp94l.example/?user=%D8%A3%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%85 . Any IRI
> with characters outside of the legal URI characters will map to a
> differently spelled URI, necessitating some typing of these respective
> strings. If we're taking away the sharp knives, we'll have to take
> away non-ascii characters and díäcrìtïcâl markç.

Eric, I am not sure I understand that. The proposal is to say that, in RDF, there should be a preference for the UTF version of the URI-s, ie, I should, if possible, opt for http://伝言.example/?user=أكرم rather than the the other version. What happens underneath if I dereference that URI and send it to tools for an HTTP get or anything similar is a separate issue. Indeed, on an English keyboard typing something even as simple as http://iván.herman.net is a pain for a user, but that is a practical problem which is again outside the realm of RDF.

Ie: saying that we keep to the current version of RDF, ie, equality of IRI-s is based on a character-by-character comparison (like now) but giving an advice to, if possible, use the IRI without the punycode seems to be a reasonable way of handling this... What else would you propose instead?

Cheers

Ivan

>> -Alex
>
> --