Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics

On Apr 18, 2011, at 3:35 PM, David Wood wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2011, at 15:35, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> On 15 April 2011 21:29, David Wood <dpw@talis.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Ivan and IIRC Steve or Richard tried to convince me that Skolemization is already mentioned and allowed in the 2004 version of the RDF Semantics.  I can't find it.  Can someone please enlighten me?  Thanks.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#prf
>
> Thanks.  In the intervening conversation, I didn't see anyone mention that this is an informative section (and thus not normative).  I suggest that the lack of clear guidance has caused sufficient pain to result in a normative change to the RDF Semantics in our eventual update.

I might add, that this (short) description of skolemization in the RDF semantics document was almost an afterthought, and that this whole issue was not expected to become so important or of such widespread interest at that time. If we had thought so, we would probably have paid a lot more attention to the wording and given the issue more prominence. The whole notion of 'publishing' RDF data was new and not fully tested in the wild when this was written, and nobody had yet used the term 'linked data'.

Pat