rdf:PlainLiteral (ISSUE-12)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:55:14 -0400
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr, public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 12:13 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-04-17, at 12:02, Ivan Herman wrote:

> >> Yes.

> >> Not quite. According to [2], the value space are all <string,lang-tag> pairs *and* all strings.

> >> This would be consistent with the definition of the datatype. But since the value space of rdf:PlainLiteral also contains all simple strings, the same could be said for returning
> >>
> >>  datatype("chat") == rdf:PlainLiteral
> >
> > Correct. Would that create huge problems?
>
> Well, rdf:PlainLiteral is not supposed to appear in RDF data, as I understand it.

It's not supposed to appear as the datatype of a literal (since RDF
already has a way to do plain literals) but it is supposed to appear as
a range -- that's much of what it's for -- as a way to say the range is
a plain literal.

Note that it allows for range constraints on the language of the
literal, such as the value must have a language tag, or must be in
certain languages.

You could also say it must be a plain literal without a language tag,
but you'd need to define your own class.  Instead of:

        :prop rdfs:range xs:string.

you'd say something like

        :prop rdfs:range :PlainString.

and then define :PlainString (or refer to some on-the-web definition, if
you're in a situation where Linked Data is okay).   My OWL isn't very
good, but looking at the Primer I guess the definition would be
something like:

        :LangString owl:equivalentClass [
                rdf:type rdfs:Datatype;
                owl:onDatatype rdf:PlainLiteral;
                owl:withRestrictions ( [ rdf:langRange "*" ] )
        ].

        :PlainString owl:equivalentClass [
                rdf:type  rdfs:Datatype;
            owl:intersectionOf (
                rdf:PlainLiteral
                [ rdf:type  rdfs:Datatype;
                  owl:datatypeComplementOf  :LangString ]
             )
           ] .

Of course, this is OWL not SPARQL.   I don't see any good way to deal
with this in SPARQL.    I don't really understand how datatype() and
such are supposed to work in SPARQL -- are stores really supposed to
remember which values came in as xs:int vs xs:integer?

    -- Sandro