Re: Skolemization and RDF Semantics

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:51:12 +0100
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, David Wood <dpw@talis.com>, "public-rdf-wg@w3.org" <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
On 2011-04-16, at 17:48, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2011, at 16:46 , Steve Harris wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>>
>> My suspicion is that the only way forward would be some text along the lines of: [with apologies for any abuse of terminology]
>>
>> Systems wishing to skolemise bNodes, and expose those skolem constants to external systems (e.g. in query results) SHOULD mint fresh a "fresh" (globally unique) URI for each bNode.
>>
>> All systems performing skolemisation SHOULD do so in a way that they can recognise the constants once skolemised, and map back to the source bNodes where possible.
>>
>> Systems which want their skolem constants to be identifiable by other systems SHOULD use the .well-known URI prefix.
>>

> And we would plug in Sandro's proposal here, right? Both the http: and the tag: versions or only the former? In case of the former we will have to register 'genid'.

We will have to register the "genid" .well-known tag in any case, and tag: might have to be amended to say that .well-known is reserved there too.

The key difference from what was on the table at the F2F is that the .well-known stuff is now only an option, rather than a SHOULD.

- Steve

> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/