Re: Comments on this afternoon session on Turtle

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:33:24 +0100
Cc: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, antoine.zimmermann@insa-lyon.fr, Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@deri.org>, public-rdf-wg <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Sorry, thinko, what I meant was:

> I just think it's simpler and less weird to have datatyped literals and languaged literals and nothing else.

I disagree, and I think it's very odd that the canonical serialisation would be:

"chat"^^xsd:string          }
"chat"                      }
"chat"@en-GB                } - all xsd:strings
"chat"@fr                   }

v's

"chat"                      }
"chat"^^xsd:string          }
"chat"@en-GB                } - all plain literals
"chat"@fr                   }

e.g. there's one syntax that's slightly weird if you normalise to plain literal, and three is you normalise to xsd:string. IMHO.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK