RDF-ISSUE-24 (Deprecate Containers): Should we deprecate RDF containers (Alt, Bag, Seq)? [Cleanup tasks]

From: RDF Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:04:48 +0000
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org

RDF-ISSUE-24 (Deprecate Containers): Should we deprecate RDF containers (Alt, Bag, Seq)? [Cleanup tasks]

http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/24

Raised by: Sandro Hawke
On product: Cleanup tasks

The RDF 1999 and 2004 Recommendations include vocabulary and syntax
(in RDF/XML) for RDF "containers", Alt, Bag, and Seq.

Although these features are being used, such as in rss 0.91, some experts
advise data providers to avoid them.  They have no syntactic support
in RDFa or Turtle.  Should the WG align with this advice and say these
features are only to be used for backward compatibility?  (That is,
RDF/XML parsers must continue to support the syntax, and libraries
should allow applications to use the features to interoperate with
legacy RDF systems.)

Note that RDF "Containers" (rdf:Alt, rdf:Bag, rdf:Seq) are distinct
from RDF "Collections" (rdf:List).  This issue is about Containers
only.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/#containers
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/RDF_Core_Work_Items#Data_Model_Issues