canonical definition of RDF?

From: Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 10:22:07 -0400
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: public-rdf-wg@w3.org
All --

Forgive a newb-ish question from a newly nominated member...

I'm struggling with authoritatively answering a conversational
question -- "What *is* RDF?" -- without falling back to markup
and serialization.

I can't find a canonical definition that satisfies my understanding
of the reality.

I've found several different descriptions, but none feel much like
a definition beyond acronym expansion, and they disagree with each
other -- even the 3 TRs which were published simultaneously --

1. "RDF is a standard model for data interchange on the Web."
   - <http://www.w3.org/RDF/>

2. "The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a framework for
   representing information in the Web."
   - <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/>

3. "The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for
   representing information about resources in the World Wide Web."
   - <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/>

4. "The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a general-purpose
   language for representing information in the Web."
   - <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/>

5. "The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a family of World
   Wide Web Consortium (W3C) specifications originally designed
   as a metadata data model. It has come to be used as a general
   method for conceptual description or modeling of information
   that is implemented in web resources, using a variety of syntax
   formats."
   - <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework>

Is there an existing authoritative answer (which maybe even the
most sacred historical electronic document might be updated to
point to, even as it retains its operational definition in-line
for historical context)?

Thanks for your help,

Ted