Re: [TTL] Standardizing N-Triples

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 11:24:18 +0100
Cc: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>, nathan@webr3.org, Alex Hall <alexhall@revelytix.com>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, RDF-WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
On 2011-04-02, at 21:28, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>> The relative IRI thing can be achieved by using and serving up
>> Turtle. We could therefore keep N-triples with a design centered on
>> a dump format, and sticking to only absolute IRIs makes sense there
>> to "freeze" the data.
>
> It's actually this use case which motivated me to consider the value
> of transporability. Well, that, plus simple generator scripts (for
> e.g. dumping a database) which are portable between systems if they
> don't embed a base IRI. I'm not sure this matters a lot one way or the
> other; just trying to guess the discriminators which will cause folks
> to use NTriples.
>
> I'm not actually convinced that it's worth foisting another
> sublanguage (or profile, if you prefer) on the world. I understand
> that the principle motivation is the efficiency of dumping an
> reloading, but I expect that far more clock cycles get introduced
> responsibly lexing IRIs and unicode literals than by all the rest of
> productions which distinguish turtle from ntriples.

I have to disagree. I've not built a full Turtle parser myself, but I've built an N-Triples one, and a good portion of a Turtle one (both by hand, not with a compiler-compiler), and the N-Triples one is significantly more efficient, per triple.

As further evidence the raptor N-Triples parser is also significantly faster per triple than the Turtle one.

The fact that people are using N-Triples in preference to Turtle for large dumps currently seems like good evidence that it is useful for some cases.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK