Re: ISSUE-18: How do we parse "18." in Turtle?

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 09:13:23 +0100
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
CC: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, public-rdf-wg@w3.org

On 01/04/11 02:20, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2011-03-31, at 22:27, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 15:11 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>
>>> +1  I feel Sandro's pain, but the advantages of fast greedy lexers has
>>> to outweigh visual aesthetics. And in any case, I kind of like the
>>> spaces, they help my mental lexer when reading.
>>
>> To be clear, I'm fine with greedy lexers, I just want to require at
>> least one digit after the decimal point for it to be considered a
>> decimal point, instead of a statement-ending period.   I believe it's a
>> trivial change to the grammar and no other change to code.
>
> XSD says that leading and trailing zeros can be omitted, I suspect that's the source of it. I'm not a fan of 18. either though. The canonical form requires a digit either side of the ".".
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#decimal-lexical-representation

Yes - that might be the source.

The Turtle grammar (submission, the WG working doc) allows leading . as
well:

1.  .1  .1e0 (an xsd:double)  1.e0

The canonical representation in XSD 1.1 has changed: the decimal of
integer valued decimals is prohibited -- so integer and decimal
canonical forms are the same. It's the decimal point in Turtle that
triggers the short form.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#decimal

	Andy