FW: fixes for TAP build on Solaris; TAP KB download is not working

From: Alec Segal <alec.segal@verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:40:09 -0500 (EST)
To: <public-rdf-tap@w3.org>

I have built TAP for Sun Solaris 8 for SPARC.
Here is what I have done to make it work.

1. Use apache, not apache2
2. Edited config.mk, in particular:

LDSHARED=gcc -shared
BUILDTYPE+=-g -Wall -pthreads
APRLIBS= -lapr -lrt -lm -lsocket -lnsl -lresolv  -ldl -lpthread

3. MemHash_Node_new was allocating memory not on the long's boundary,
causing segmentation fault on SPARC during startup, during the database
import from the data directory.

 MemHash_Node_new(TAP_KB *kb, const char *oid)
{
    size_t size = sizeof(MemHash_Node) + strlen(oid) + 1;
 /* as07: ak03 : Alignment fix!!! */
    size = (size + sizeof(long) - 1) & ~(sizeof(long) -1);
 /* end of fix*/
    MemHash_Node *ret = (MemHash_Node *)
        MemHash_calloc(kb, size);
    strcpy(ret->name, oid);
    return (MemHash_NodeHandle) MemHash_PtrToHandle(kb, ret);
}

That was enough to start enjoying Apache on my personal workstation.

I found that issuiing an empty request from kbx crashes my local server:

desc> use http://mysun.com:8080/data
Using KB http://mysun.com:8080/data
desc>
desc> identify
props>

causes Segmentation Fault in TAP_Cursor_AddOutputFilter when it calls
asp_pcalloc, because curs is NULL.

A link to download the database
http://tap.stanford.edu/data/tap.rdf
returns an empty messsage, as if the file tap.rdf were missing.

A download for the node Resource through the database browser skips a lot of
information in the database and returns a broken XML. It generates unpaired
tags  </0> in the attempt to refer to namespaces, as far as I understand.

I am pushing for an ambitious project, using semantic web technologies, and
trying to build a demo. The amount of data could be potentially very big.
So far I am having fun with TAP. Thank you.
Alec Segal