Re: question about the term "scope"

Hello James and thank you for your feedback,

The WG will provide a formal reply to your comments after it is discussed
in one of the following weekly telcos.
As an informal comment & based on the definitions of the current draft

 the term itself is intended to characterize a triple

The term in-scope is not intended to characterize a triple but a node
"the scope of a shape defines which (RDF) nodes in the data graph are
in-scope for that shape" so it is a relation between a Shape and Set of
nodes and define which RDF nodes the shape can "see"
http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/#dfn-scope

why do you not use a term which better connotes that that meaning

We did try in the past to come up with a better terms for scoping,
filtering & focus nodes without success, I am sure the WG will consider any
new suggestions

Best regards,
Dimitris

--
Dimitris Kontokostas
Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig & DBpedia Association