Re: Ruby framework to build Web apps with RDF, Spira and Triple Stores

Hello David ,

I used Sinatra, RDF.rb and Spira to build dbpedialite:
http://dbpedialite.org/

The source code is here:
http://github.com/njh/dbpedialite

I will be using the Rack::LinkedData middleware to perform content
negotiation in the future, once there is a DSL for HTML responses:
http://datagraph.rubyforge.org/rack-linkeddata/

nick.

On 15/06/2010 08:30, "Ryan Riley" <ryan.riley@panesofglass.org> wrote:

> The most comprehensive framework I can think of is Restfulie
> (http://restfulie.caelumobjects.com/
> ), which runs on Rails. Restfulie has both client and server components.
>
> Other sever options: Rack (http://rack.rubyforge.org/) and its
> middlewares should give you everything you need, especially if you
> want fine-grained control. A step up would be Sinatra
> (http://www.sinatrarb.com
> ), my personal favorite.
>
> Other client options: RestClient (http://github.com/archiloque/rest-client
> ) is really the only one of which I know anything.
>
> If you go the Rack route, you might also take a look at Pancake
> (http://github.com/hassox/pancake
> ), which is a framework built around Rack middlewares.
>
> hth,
>
> Ryan
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:35 PM, David Peterson <david.seth.p@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am going to be developing a REST based SemWeb application Web
>> backend. The frontend will be driven via mobile browsers (iPad,
>> Andriod, etc) and will communicate to the Ruby based backend with a
>> triple store to store information.
>>
>> Basically, I am pretty new to Ruby, but have about 14 years
>> experience with other Web technologies (javascript, php, c#, asp,
>> java, RDF, SPARQL, objective-c, etc). So I know stuff, but not good
>> Ruby stuff :) So please don't throw any stones for this question if
>> it is indeed very basic. I have been researching into things for
>> about a week without coming across anything concrete.
>>
>> I need a Ruby framework that has a number of things built in:
>> sessions, user authentication, authenticated REST calls, role/
>> permission based access to content. I had looked to use something
>> like Drupal as a backend and write custom modules to access the
>> Triple Store, but Drupal is way to heavy to just use it as a login
>> and access based system (I have A LOT of experience with Drupal, but
>> it just doesn't seem to fit).
>>
>> So, all you Ruby guru's out there, can anyone give me a pointer, a
>> link or some advice?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> David Peterson

nick.