W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org > November 2009

Meeting minutes, 2009-11-05

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 19:42:31 +0100
Message-ID: <4AF31C97.1010504@w3.org>
To: W3C RDFa task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Minutes are here:

www.w3.org/2009/11/05-rdfa-minutes.html

text version below.

Cheers

Ivan

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                       RDFa in XHTML Task Force

05 Nov 2009

   Agenda:
   [2]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009No
   v/0004.html
   See also: [3]IRC log
   Previous: [4]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Nov/0004.html
      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/11/05-rdfa-irc
      [4] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html

Attendees

   Present
          Ivan Herman, Manu Sporny, Shane McCarron

   Regrets
          Ben Adida, Mark Birbeck, Steven Pemberton

   Chair
          Manu Sporny

   Scribe
          Manu Sporny

Contents

     * [5]Topics
         1. [6]Action Items
         2. [7]RDFa WG Charter
         3. [8]profile/vocab discussion
         4. [9]RDFa DOM API
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Action Items

   <scribe> ACTION: Manu to aggressively push review of test cases via
   mailing list [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html#action08] [DONE]

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html#action08

   Manu: Sent out overview
   ... Asked 3 new test cases to be reviewed.

   <scribe> ACTION: Manu to try and find other interested parties in
   RDFa WG. [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action08]
   [CONTINUES]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action08

   <scribe> ACTION: Ben to finish authoring RDFa WG charter. [recorded
   in [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action07]
   [CONTINUES]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action07

   <scribe> ACTION: Manu speak with Andy Seaborne about SPARQL.org
   implementation re: c14n [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06

   Manu: Do have more thoughts on RDFa WG, Ivan?

   Ivan: We need more W3C members.
   ... Currently in talks with a number of people offline - we seem to
   be in good shape.
   ... If we have 2 large search companies and a number of other
   smaller companies (all W3C members) we're fine.
   ... We should expect questions that are raised regarding why RDFa is
   a separate group from Semantic Web.

   <scribe> ACTION: Manu speak with Andy Seaborne about SPARQL.org
   implementation re: c14n [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06

   Manu: Jeremy Carroll said that this is a bug in Jena/SPARQL.org
   ... Andy seemed to imply it was as well.

   <scribe> ACTION: Shane to look at XML spec and see if xml: is
   illegal in RDF/XML re: TC 142 [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action09]
   [CONTINUES]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action09

   <scribe> ACTION: Shane to re-draft XMLLiteral errata text [recorded
   in [17]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action04]
   [CONTINUES]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action04

RDFa WG Charter

   Ivan: I have one thing to mention re: the charter
   ... I don't think we should include the Microsoft extensibility
   thing as a part of the RDFa charter.
   ... What happens if the HTML5 group stops the extensibility
   mechanism? Our charter would be wrong.

   Manu: Fine to remove it - we were attempting to express that we'd
   like to work with HTML WG on distributed extensibility.

   Ivan: We need to remove names for W3C staff contact - wait until
   after a vote.

   Manu: ok, made both changes to the charter.

   Ivan: The other discussion we'll want to have is IG vs. WG

   Shane: We want to publish REC track documents, so we have to be a
   WG.

   Ivan: So, an open question is that RDFa 1.1 will probably apply to
   HTML5, so why the new WG?

   Shane: XHTML+RDFa module has to be updated, and is work that is done
   independently of the HTML5 spec. That's why we need a new WG.

   Manu: There is also an RDFa 1.1 Core spec

   Ivan: Right, the underlying RDFa 1.1 Core spec would be independent
   of any language.
   ... There is MediaRSS - which is RDFa being used in a non-XHTML
   dialect.
   ... That should be a REC, and must be done by a WG, not at IG.

   Shane: Sure - we should have some kind of language-agnostic RDFa 1.1
   Core document.
   ... An evolution of the current spec could do that pretty easily.
   ... The XHTML logic is restricted to 1 chapter.

   Ivan: A little more than that - we refer to href and img, and some
   other HTML dependent things.

   <ShaneM> @src too

   Ivan: We could do a generic spec which may have an additional XHTML
   spec.
   ... We have to be very specific about what the WG is producing.

profile/vocab discussion

   Manu: @profile is perma-thread area on HTML WG and WHAT WG. We'll
   want to use @vocab
   Shane: or <link rel="vocab" href="http://example.org/vocab#" />

RDFa DOM API

   Manu: Two approaches - generic RDF DOM API, and a specific RDFa DOM
   API.

   Ivan: We may not want to make this an HTML-specific thing.

   Shane: I don't think there is an HTML DOM - so, we may want to do
   something that is XML-specific.
   ... XHTML/HTML DOM was something we never wanted to do.

   Ivan: What might be faster and easier to define would be the
   RDFa-specific DOM API.
   ... At ISWC2009, there was a paper on how one could extract triples
   from an element.
   ... The point is that there is a slightly more general issue that is
   coming up.
   ... How can we reconcile this: How do I get and manage RDF data from
   Javascript in general? Regardless of whether or not it comes from
   RDFa?
   ... Tabulator was done in Javascript, data was extracted from all
   places... RDFa is just one source.
   ... it would be nice if these two things could be reconciled.
   ... Unless it becomes overcomplicated.

   Manu: So, we could use the jQuery approach - specific API for RDFa
   ... Then jQuery provides the RDF query mechanism.

   Shane: I think this could conflict with the way the HTML5 group does
   things.

   Manu: I disagree, I think it's in-line with how the web is being
   developed. If we do the jQuery approach - we could tie in a unified
   RDF query mechanism, regardless of the underlying data expression
   mechanism - Microdata, RDFa, Microformats, etc.

   Ivan: So, are we interested in a generic API to extract data out of
   triple stores, regardless of where it comes from.
   ... Is that something that the RDFa WG would like to solve?
   ... There is a clear pressure from a number of people that we need
   something at the triple store level... a specific RDFa API won't
   solve the real problem.

   Shane: So, RDFa API is necessary, but not sufficient.

   Ivan: Is another WG needed to provide this? Or can this be solved in
   the RDFa WG?
   ... What I'm interested in is the integrated triple store.
   ... From a SemWeb programmers point of view, this is what I'd want.

   Shane: I see a couple of different things here, one of them is
   having triple-store access available. Via the DOM or otherwise.
   ... This is an API for extracting triples from a URI.

   Ivan: In rdflib, there is no provenance.
   ... Everything gets merged into the same bin.

   Manu: So is it fair to say that we're talking about a TripleStore
   API and a separate RDFa API? I'm worried about the amount of work
   required to accomplish a TripleStore API.

   Ivan: Yes... but these two should meet somewhere.
   ... Maybe only at an implementation level.
   ... Some have said you don't need a TripleStore API - you only need
   a SPARQL API.
   ... Just like you don't have an API to get SQL data, you just issue
   SQL commands.
   ... I think charter text should make these points very clearly.

   <scribe> ACTION: Manu to update the charter to talk about RDFa API
   [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2009/11/05-rdfa-minutes.html#action08]

   Manu: We could do TripleStore API in jQuery, RDFa API in jQuery and
   natively?

   Ivan: Maybe we want to put conditional item in there about
   TripleStore API
   ... Maybe we plan to have a Note on a generic TripleStore API.
   ... We would not be obligated to do TripleStore API, but we will
   look into the issue.

Summary of Action Items

   ]
   [NEW] ACTION: Manu to update the charter to talk about RDFa API
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/11/05-rdfa-minutes.html#action08]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Manu to aggressively push review of test cases via
   mailing list [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html#action08
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ben to finish authoring RDFa WG charter. [recorded
   in [21]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Manu to try and find other interested parties in
   RDFa WG. [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action08]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Shane to look at XML spec and see if xml: is
   illegal in RDF/XML re: TC 142 [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action09]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Shane to re-draft XMLLiteral errata text [recorded
   in [24]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action04]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/29-rdfa-minutes.html#action08
     [21] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action07
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action08
     [23] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/22-rdfa-minutes.html#action09
     [24] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action04

   [DONE] ACTION: Manu speak with Andy Seaborne about SPARQL.org
   implementation re: c14n [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-rdfa-minutes.html#action06

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([27]CVS log)
    $Date: 2009/11/05 18:40:30 $
     _________________________________________________________

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

-- 

Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
PGP Key: http://www.ivan-herman.net/pgpkey.html
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf

Received on Thursday, 5 November 2009 18:43:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:50:33 UTC