Re: PROPOSED test cases 0127 and 0128 - empty xmlns attribute values

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 22:56:41 +0100
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
CC: "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Shane McCarron wrote:
> Inspired by a couple of Philips tests...
> [...]

Empty values for namespace prefix declarations are a well-formedness
error in all XML parsers that I'm aware of, so this document should
cause a fatal error (and no triples) in any RDFa-in-XML parser.

(I can't actually see where http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/ really
says it's an error - the closest requirement is "If the attribute name
matches PrefixedAttName [...] the namespace name may not be empty",
which seems like misuse of RFC 2119 keywords but presumably is why
everyone implements it as a well-formedness error.)

(In text/html there is no concept of well-formedness and no fatal parse
errors, and no specification defines how xmlns attributes are meant to
be processed in that environment; I don't have preferences for any
particular behaviour, as long as it's clearly defined somewhere.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk