Re: Validation issue with the xsi namespace

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:47:43 -0000 (UTC)
To: "Stephane Corlosquet" <stephane.corlosquet@deri.org>
Cc: "Toby A Inkster" <tai@g5n.co.uk>, "RDFa" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

> If the W3C validator returns an error when the xsi XML namespace is not
> well defined, then I would expect the same for the xsd XML namespace.
> However both
> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
> validate in XHTML+RDFa.

The W3C validator doesn't really understand namespaces - in general it
simply ignores them - as is happening with "xmlns:xsd" in your example.

However, in some DTDs, certain namespaces are hardcoded to certain
prefixes. This is supposed to be helpful, but in real life is at best
confusing and at worst a pain in the arse.

"xmlns:xsi" is one such namespace. It's hard-coded in
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-qname-1.mod, so any DTDs which
reference that module (which is most XHTML DTDs) end up with this strange
requirement - that if you decide to define "xmlns:xsi" in your document,
then you must define it as "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance".

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>