Re: Discussion with Ian and Henri about HTML5+RDFa (part 2/2)

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> The other model that was considered was that @rel contains a URI. In
> this case @rel="next" is actually a relative path, and we would
> hard-code the fact that it's relative to a 'base' that is the XHTML
> vocabulary. Unfortunately that puts @rel="foo" also into the XHTML
> vocabulary, and it also means that for authors to add their own values
> they need to express them as full URIs, which is quite laborious and
> error-prone.

For the record: I'm still VERY unhappy with the fact that RDFa imposes a
syntax on the rel attribute that is likely to be incompatible with the
way it's used elsewhere (sticking plain URIs into it).

Requiring CURIEs for *new* attributes is fine, but imposing a
potentially non-backwards compatible syntax onto existing attributes is
an entirely different story...

BR, Julian