Re: RDFa DTD and HTML character entity

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:00:07 -0600
To: KANZAKI Masahide <mkanzaki@gmail.com>
CC: "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

KANZAKI Masahide wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Firefox, Safari and Chrome report parsing error with an RDFa document which:
> - has some HTML character entities (e.g. &nbsp; &uuml; etc)
> - declares XHTML+RDFa 1.0 DOCTYPE
> - delivered as application/xhtml+xml
>
> probably because XHTML+RDFa DTD doesn't include HTML character entity
> module (xhtml-charent-1.mod) . XHTML 1.1 DTD driver also lacks this
> module, but curiously, its flat DTD includes this.

I think you are wrong here.  The XHTML 1.1 DTD driver relies upon the
XHTML M12N "framework" module.  That module, as its final act, by
default includes xhtml-charent-1.mod.  So as long as we are not
overriding that setting, and we are not, the charent module should be
included in all xhtml family markup languages.

I believe this is because the browsers have a hack to automatically know
about certain character entities, but are not relying upon the DOCTYPE
pattern to decide that XHTML + RDFa 1.0 is in the XHTML Family.  Nor are
they relying upon the media type xhtml+xml to indicate this.  Were they,
this would not be an issue.