Re: Why bound prefixes are an anti-pattern in language design

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:20:46 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Martin McEvoy <martin@weborganics.co.uk>, Othar Hansson <othar@othar.com>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
I guess I should have been clearer about my rationale for bugging you
on this Ian: I reckon the Web of documents is transitioning to a more
general Web of data. For things to go smoothly HTML should at least
have minimal support for describing things in a form computers can
understand (yup, in many ways this is orthogonal to what browsers
currently do).

The best mechanism I know of for this kind of extensibility on top of
the doc markup, to leave the door open for innovation, is URI-based
namespaces. If you have another approach up your sleeve that will
fulfil the same role, great! Let's see it.

Cheers,
Danny.