Re: ISSUE-103: substantive issue that requires opinion + discussion

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Ben Adida wrote:
>
>> ISSUE-103: a URI-centric approach to CURIEs
>> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/103
>>

> That being said, it's no big deal if we decide to adopt Jonathan's
> proposal. I could go either way, but would like us to not unnecessarily
> generate more work for everyone. If we were to make the change, we'd
> have to make a sweep through the test cases, syntax document, primer,
> and notify all implementers of the change, which could easily put us
> back a month.

Actually, I think it is a huge deal and buys us nothing.  The CURIE spec
is in last call, and we cannot diverge from that.  We have no such
comment against the CURIE spec.  If we did, I am confident we would
reject it because, as we all agree, a CURIE is not a new URI mechanism.
CURIEs are never used over the wire, so they do not need to have their
own scheme.  As to future-proofing.... it is already future proof.  The
only situation where a bracket will ever be a legal character in a URI
is in the hostname portion (for IPv6 addresses).  And a hostname cannot
be there without a scheme... so there cannot ever be a conflict.  I do
not think this is anything we need to worry about.  We have bigger fish
to fry.