Re: [Fwd: [uf-discuss] Fwd: [whatwg] Removing @rev]

Niklas Lindström wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Well, as long as this doesn't mean @rev may be dropped from (future
> domains of) RDFa?

I do not think so, as far as RDFa is concerned. The worst that can
happen is that @rev joins the other, RDFa specific attributes like
@about, @resource, etc.

>                     I mean, if HTML5 "wins", and e.g. XHTML2
> applications will be scarce to non-existant (and when XHTML 1.1(+RDFa)
> "eventually" becomes a legacy format), having no support for @rev may
> have a bad effect for lots of use cases.

It is really unclear for the moment how the relationship of RDFa to
HTML5 will evolve (or, for that matter, how HTML5 will evolve). One
direction that the HTML5 guys are considering and may lead to a HTML5
specific RDFa version may be that all RDFa attributes will look like
@rdfa-about, @rdfa-resource and, well, maybe, @rdfa-rev. Future only can
tell...

> It depends on other things, but since AFAIK @rev reduces the need for
> repetition in a lot of cases, such as describing
> memberships/composition (e.g. as I describe in
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Jan/0091.html>),
> it (probably) has a direct effect on the ease of building end-user
> applications that produce RDFa (since e.g. repetition of uri:s
> requires parallell maintenance to handle the indent).

I fully agree. In my (limited) experience with using RDFa, @rev does not
occur very frequently but when it does, it is extremely useful in
expressing things concisely.

> [Digression: It's a complex issue of course, but I'm uncomfortable
> with the way HTML5 seems to drop stuff that are relevant to many good
> things, e.g. RDFa. Well, @profile and @rev to date(?), but who knows
> what else may be thrown out since "nobody uses it".. I hope for a
> future for XHTML2. (Or even something like "web document markup" and
> an extension like "web application markup", but that's another
> story.)]

Niklas, I think you are not alone with your feelings. I would advice
that you directly take it up either with the HTML5 group or in public
fora. You represent the Dublin Core community, eg, related to the whole
(digital) library community, not an insignificant crowd...

Thanks

Ivan