Re: Biological Taxonomy Vocabulary 0.1

From: Renato golin <renato@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 22:46:10 +0100
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Toby Inkster wrote:
> The same could be said for foaf:name. FOAF doesn't have a big list of name
> URIs that you can choose from, and nor should it. URIs are good, but
> literals have their place in RDF too.

For classes, species and sub-species I agree with you, but you don't
have a new kingdom every day. But again, the same problem will arise
when using multiple languages...

> A taxonomic authority is similar to a citation, but it's not the same.
> It's actually closer to a traditional namespacing mechanism. It
> effectively qualifies the binomial term being used, so "Homo sapiens
> (Linnaeus, 1758)" means "Homo sapiens, as would have been understood by
> Linnaeus in 1758".

I see... "authority" seems to me as a formal specification and not only
"as he understood". In that sense I could put myself as authority to all
species I know about...

Maybe "first described" (or something similar) could've been a better
name... but that's just taste... ;)

cheers,
--renato